This is the final installment of my 3 post series. I have linked my other two posts so you can catch up on the story.
We had managed to enjoy a full day of Saturday fun on our rough start of a camping trip. We went swimming, floating, ate dinner, and of course enjoyed the required Smores that makes it a true campfire experience. After eating, the campfire was circled with lawn chairs as we all sat around and visited. We were introduced to two new camp games.
The first being “High-Low.” Everyone takes turns around the circle and shares their High for the day and their Low for the day. As a mother, I enjoy this very much. I love hearing my children talk about the things that made their day and also the things that they didn’t enjoy very much. Even on our last camping trip we forgot to share at the campfire, so we all lay in our tent side by side, so we did our High-Low before we went to bed.
The second game isn’t necessarily just a camping game. It is called, “I’ve Never.” Everyone holds up 5 fingers and you take turns going around the circle saying something that you have never done. If you have done the thing stated, you have to put down a finger. So, to win the game you should be the last one left with a finger up.
Anyway, on Sunday morning we awoke and were all sitting around sleepily. There were adults sitting around drinking coffee, so we decided to make hot chocolate for the children to drink. Since, I’m not a coffee drinker, I chose to drink the hot chocolate. I sat in my camp chair admiring the fire. My third child, a little girl that was four at the time, woke up and sat next me in her little princess camp chair. She wanted my hot chocolate to drink, so I handed it to her. She took a drink and sat with it in her hand. The next thing I knew she dozed back off in her chair and spilled the hot chocolate all over her legs. The hot chocolate was so hot that she started to scream. I picked her up and immediately adults were running around trying to help. One person grabbed the water container to pour over her. Another ran to get the first aid kit. When we poured the water over her leg, the skin just peeled off. We laid her across the table and put burn medicine on her leg.
When we left later that day, we decided that the burn was to severe. We ended up in the ER. She had a second degree burn from that hot chocolate. The doctor gave us silver dine ointment and gauze wrap to keep it covered.
It was certainly an eventful camping trip that we will never forget. After all of this, we have been camping again and have learned to love our trips.