Strike Three! You’re Out!

This is the final installment of my 3 post series.  I have linked my other two posts so you can catch up on the story.

Strike One!

Strike Two!

We had managed to enjoy a full day of Saturday fun on our rough start of a camping trip.  We went swimming, floating, ate dinner, and of course enjoyed the required Smores that makes it a true campfire experience.  After eating, the campfire was circled with lawn chairs as we all sat around and visited. We were introduced to two new camp games.

The first being “High-Low.” Everyone takes turns around the circle and shares their High for the day and their Low for the day.  As a mother, I enjoy this very much.  I love hearing my children talk about the things that made their day and also the things that they didn’t enjoy very much.  Even on our last camping trip we forgot to share at the campfire, so we all lay in our tent side by side, so we did our High-Low before we went to bed.

The second game isn’t necessarily just a camping game.  It is called, “I’ve Never.”  Everyone holds up 5 fingers and you take turns going around the circle saying something that you have never done.  If you have done the thing stated, you have to put down a finger.  So, to win the game you should be the last one left with a finger up.

Anyway, on Sunday morning we awoke and were all sitting around sleepily. There were adults sitting around drinking coffee, so we decided to make hot chocolate for the children to drink. Since, I’m not a coffee drinker, I chose to drink the hot chocolate.  I sat in my camp chair admiring the fire.  My third child, a little girl that was four at the time, woke up and sat next me in her little princess camp chair.  She wanted my hot chocolate to drink, so I handed it to her.  She took a drink and sat with it in her hand.  The next thing I knew she dozed back off in her chair and spilled the hot chocolate all over her legs.  The hot chocolate was so hot that she started to scream.  I picked her up and immediately adults were running around trying to help.  One person grabbed the water container to pour over her.  Another ran to get the first aid kit.  When we poured the water over her leg, the skin just peeled off.  We laid her across the table and put burn medicine on her leg.

Strike Three!

When we left later that day, we decided that the burn was to severe.  We ended up in the ER.  She had a second degree burn from that hot chocolate.  The doctor gave us silver dine ointment and gauze wrap to keep it covered.

It was certainly an eventful camping trip that we will never forget.  After all of this, we have been camping again and have learned to love our trips.

Advertisements

5 thoughts on “Strike Three! You’re Out!

  1. Oh, wow. Yep, we love to camp also. I’m just waiting for my first burn story. Our son did a face-plant on a scooter on our last trip; thankfully he was wearing a helmet. He hit the ground so hard, the helmet was gouged. Yikes. Glad you were able to have better trips later! 🙂

    Liked by 1 person

      • Some of my favorites were camping. Like the time we got the last site available, at the bottom of the hill. It rained (poured, actually) and my dad went to check on us. When he unzipped the tent, the lip around the bottom of the door flipped down and four inches of water came pouring out. My three siblings and I were all fast asleep, floating. Luckily we were all sleeping on our backs! 🙂

        Liked by 1 person

      • Sorry if this is a duplicate; my internet geeked out right when I was trying to reply. Luckily the page was still up, so I copied it. Some of my favorites were camping. Like the time we got the last site available, at the bottom of the hill. It rained (poured, actually) and my dad went to check on us. When he unzipped the tent, the lip around the bottom of the door flipped down and four inches of water came pouring out. My three siblings and I were all fast asleep, floating. Luckily we were all sleeping on our backs! 🙂

        Liked by 1 person

  2. How terrible for your little four year old! I’m glad to hear it wasn’t worse than it was. But it had to be so painful for her! — My daughter was going to make me breakfast one morning while I still slept, and when she went to light the pilot light of the stove it blew up in her face. It didn’t burn her bad at all, but I took her to the doc. He said it would not leave a scar and for her not to stop cooking for her mom. (Sweet) But she never cooked me breakfast again!

    Liked by 1 person

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s